When organizations hire or promote employees acting in a supervisory capacity, they must ensure that these individuals are ‘Competent’. That means that supervisors:
- Are qualified because of knowledge, training and experience to organize the work and its performance.
- Are familiar with OSHA and regulations that apply to the work.
- Have knowledge of any actual or potential danger to health or safety in the workplace.
- Have completed a basic occupational health and safety awareness training program that meets the requirements set out in sec. 2(3) of O.Reg. 297/13.
Supervisors in-turn are responsible to:
- Ensure a worker works in the manner and with the protective devices, measures and procedures required by Act/regs.
- Ensure a worker uses or wears the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the employer requires to be used or worn.
- Advise a worker of the existence of any potential or actual danger to the health or safety of the worker of which the supervisor is aware.
- Where required by regulation provide a worker with written instructions as to the measures and procedures to be taken for the protection of the worker’s health and safety..
- Take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of a worker.
- Investigate work refusals and stoppages.
Univerus Health & Safety solutions provide employees, supervisors, and organizations with cloud based web and mobile solutions to support these requirements at all levels.